For 80 years, Linton Camp has served as a key logistics hub for the New Zealand Army. Initially established to support ordnance storage and supply, much of its infrastructure has remained unchanged for decades — a legacy of underinvestment that the NZDF is only now beginning to address. This article traces the historical development of Linton’s warehousing functions, its recurring infrastructure challenges, and the modernisation finally underway. It is intended as a starting point for discussion on NZDF logistics modernisation, not a strategic or comparative analysis of broader defence policy.
Early Developments: Palmerston North’s Ordnance Store (1914–1921)
In 1914, Major James O’Sullivan, Director of Equipment and Stores, recommended establishing a district store in Palmerston North to improve distribution efficiency and reduce transport costs. This led to the creation of the Palmerston North Ordnance Store in early 1915, managed by District Storekeeper Frank Edwin Ford.

With the formation of the New Zealand Army Ordnance Corps (NZAOC) on 1 July 1917, the Palmerston North Ordnance Store was incorporated as the “Palmerston North Detachment – NZAOC.” By December 1921, however, the detachment was disbanded as part of post-war reorganisation.
World War II and Post-War Expansion (1941–1957)
The outbreak of World War II forced a major expansion of military logistics infrastructure. In early 1942, the Central Districts Ordnance Depot (CDOD) was established at the Palmerston North Showgrounds, later renamed No. 2 Ordnance Sub Depot on 1 August 1942. By 1943/44, the Main Ordnance Depot in Trentham had established a Bulk Sub-Depot at Linton Camp to support Central District operations.
A fire at No. 2 Ordnance Sub Depot on 31 December 1944 destroyed stock valued at £225,700 (approximately $38.5 million in 2024 terms, adjusted for inflation using the RBNZ inflation calculator). The depot remained operational until 14 December 1945, when its functions transferred to Trentham’s Main Ordnance Depot and Linton’s Bulk Sub-Depot.
Recognising the need for sustained logistical support, No. 2 Ordnance Depot was re-established at Linton Camp on 1 October 1946, absorbing the Bulk Sub-Depot from Trentham. Under Captain W.S. Keegan’s command, the depot also maintained ammunition sub-depots at Belmont, Makomako, and Waiouru, a vehicle sub-depot at Trentham, and a stores sub-depot at Waiouru. In 1948, it reverted to its 1942 designation of CDOD.
Through the late 1940s and 1950s, storage facilities at Linton — many still using wartime buildings — were expanded, including warehouses CB26 and CB27 on Dittmer Road (1949–1950). Infrastructure problems persisted: a second fire, in an ordnance store on 15 February 1953, destroyed stores and records valued at £11,695 (roughly $1.4 million in 2024 terms).
Infrastructure Challenges and Growth (1957–1990s)
In 1957, the Central Districts Vehicle Depot (CDVD) relocated from Trentham to Linton, requiring the transfer of prefabricated buildings from Fort Dorset (CB14–CB17). Storage limitations remained a persistent issue.
A 1958 site investigation recommended constructing a 125,000 sq. ft. (11,613 sq. m) ordnance depot as part of a broader Logistic Precinct integrating RNZASC and RNZEME elements. The project never materialised. The “temporary” prefabricated buildings that were meant to bridge the gap are, remarkably, still in use today — nearly 70 years later.
Expansion continued in smaller increments: CDOD completed a new headquarters building (CB18) in 1961 and a dedicated clothing store (CB4) in 1963. In 1968, the depot was rebranded as 2 Central Ordnance Depot (2COD), with plans to expand the clothing store by 45,000 sq. ft. (4,181 sq. m) — later reduced by budget constraints to 25,000 sq. ft. (2,323 sq. m) — and completed by 2 Construction Squadron, RNZE, in 1972. The building is now used by 5 Movements Company, RNZALR.

On 16 October 1978, the Royal New Zealand Army Service Corps (RNZASC) transferred supply responsibilities to the RNZAOC, forming 2 Supply Company, which absorbed 24 Supply Platoon (Rations) and took over the RNZASC Ration Store. By 1990/91 the original railhead ration store was decommissioned and replaced with a purpose-built facility.
The table below tracks the unit’s repeated redesignations across this period — useful as a reference, since the naming changes more often than the underlying function does:
| Year | Unit Name |
|---|---|
| 1942 | Central Districts Ordnance Depot (CDOD) |
| 1942 (Aug) | No. 2 Ordnance Sub Depot |
| 1946 | No. 2 Ordnance Depot |
| 1948 | Reverted to CDOD |
| 1968 | 2 Central Ordnance Depot (2COD) |
| 1978 | 2 Supply Company |
| 1985 | 5 Composite Supply Company |
| 1990 | 21 Supply Company |
| 1992 | 21 Field Supply Company (absorbed RRF OSG from 3 Supply Company, Burnham) |
In 1992, the Ready Reaction Force Ordnance Support Group (RRF OSG) transferred from 3 Supply Company in Burnham into 21 Field Supply Company, supported by additional low-cost shelters (CB34a, CB34b, CB35).
Modernisation Efforts and the Linton Regional Supply Facility (2024–Present)
Some of Linton’s warehouses are now over 80 years old, and — as the 1958 episode shows — the pattern of deferred investment is not new. The NZDF has finally committed to a major upgrade: the Linton Regional Supply Facility. Ground was broken in late 2024, with work commencing in February 2025. The project will consolidate multiple logistics functions into a single modern building.
According to Deputy Chief of Army, Brigadier Hamish Gibbons:
“The Linton Regional Supply Facility will provide a modern and fit-for-purpose capability for our logistics personnel. It will allow us to effectively and efficiently manage and control the limited resources we have, ensuring they are available to enable training and operations.”

Conclusion
Linton Camp’s role in New Zealand’s military logistics has evolved considerably since its origins as an ordnance sub-depot, through the fires of 1944 and 1953, the abandoned 1958 rebuild, and decades of incremental patchwork rather than wholesale renewal. The Linton Regional Supply Facility represents the first serious break from that pattern. Whether it holds, and whether the next round of “temporary” buildings again outlasts its intended lifespan, will depend on sustained investment rather than a single project.















