The strength of the NZAOC on the 30th of July 1921 was 174 consisting of:
- 9 Officers, and
- 165 Other ranks
Director of Ordnance Stores
- Lieutenant Colonel H. E. Pilkington, RNZA
Chief Ordnance Officer
- Captain T.J King, NZAOD
Northern Command Ordnance Officer
- Captain E.C Dovey, NZSC
Central Command Ordnance Officer
- Captain F. E. Ford, NZAOD
Southern Command Ordnance Officer
- Captain A.R.C White , NZAOD
- Lieutenant C.I. Gossage, OBE, NZAOD
During this period the NZAOC had been considerably reduced but was still considered in excess of the strength required for its normal peace duties which consisted of the accounting, storage, issue, receipt, and care of all Ordnance stores for the N.Z. Military Forces. The following are some of the principal activities in excess of ordinary routine duties which the NZAOC had been engaged in during the 1920/21 period which had mitigated against further retrenchment being carried out;
- Receipt, accounting, and storage of large supplies of military equipment from the United Kingdom,
- Ordnance issues and accounting in connection with military hospitals and sanatoria,
- Sale of surplus stores
- Marking of new rifles and equipment and reissuing to Territorial Force and Cadets. Nearly all of the new military equipment had arrived, and distributed as under;
- Training equipment to units,
- Mobilization equipment to depots in each command,
- Reserve equipment at the main Ordnance depot.
The retention of military hospitals and sanatoria under the Defence Department entailed a considerable amount of work for the NZAOC, and until these institutions were handed over to the Department which was ultimately to be entirely responsible for the after-care of disabled soldiers the NZAOC could not be further reduced in number without impairing its efficiency.
From the 20th of November 1920 NZAOC personnel employed in the maintenance sections at Trentham and Featherston Camps, were reorganised by transferring those that were required to the works section, New Zealand Engineers, The surplus personnel were demobilised.
From 3 July 1920, all temporary appointments to the NZAOC would be made by the temporary employment board at General Headquarters on the recommendation of unit Officers Commanding. General Headquarters instruction laid down that should a unit OC be required to engage additional personnel for temporary employment, an application to the Temporary Employment Board (TEB) would have to be made. The TEB would then arrange the selection of suitable individuals from applicants on the waiting list, giving preference to returned soldiers. At the time the rank of NCO’s in the NZAOC was only temporary and would be relinquished as soon as the permanent establishments had been authorised. Permanent appointments of NCO’s would be filled only by men who qualified by examination and are in all respects the most suitable for the position, irrespective of whether they were serving in a temporary capacity as private or NCO. Where qualifications were equal, preference would be given to returned soldiers.
Due to a reorganisation in 1921 both the Canterbury and Nelson Military District and the Otago and Southland Military Districts were combined into the Southern Military Command. As a result, the Ordnance Depots located at King Edward Barracks and the Dunedin Ordnance Depot located in St Andrews Street, Dunedin were relocated to Burnham Camp as the Southern Command Ordnance Depot. The Burnham Industrial School had been taken over from the Education Department for use as a NZAOC depot for the Southern Military Command. The necessary alterations to the buildings and certain additions were to be gradually made, with the object being to ultimately provide sufficient accommodation for all the necessary military stores for the South Island
At the Auckland command, similar accommodation was urgently needed, the current facility’s at Mount Eden was unsuitable and until suitable storage accommodation was provided, mobilization stores for Auckland command were to be housed at Featherston Camp.
Similar requirements for mobilisation stores were also required for the Central Command. Central. The NZAOC Palmerston North Detachment had closed during this period and had transferred its stores to Featherston and Trentham Camp.
The NZAOC Stores located in Buckle Street in Wellington had been relocated to Trentham.
The complete demolition of Featherston Camp was therefore delayed pending suitable accommodation being made available in the Auckland District.
The Auditor-General reported on the 4th of September that the NZAOC had been unable to allocate responsibility for losses of certain stores, clothing and equipment in military districts, and the following sums have been written off:
- Wellington Military District, £14,787
- Auckland Military District, £9006
- Canterbury Military District, £2532
- The loss of stores and clothing to the value of £274 at the Trentham and Featherston military camps is attributed to the disorganisation brought about by the influenza epidemic.
The NZAOC credits for the year ended 30th June 1921, for the sale of stores amounted to approximately £70,000.
Ordnance Corps Picnic
The annual picnic of the NZAOC was held at Day s Bay on 4 February 1921 in ideal weather. A most enjoyable time was spent. A large programme o£ children’s events were also put through.
Approved by His Majesty the King at the end of 1920, General Order No 95 of 1 March 1921 granted formal approval of an alliance between the RAOC and the Ordnance Corps of;
- New Zealand
- South Africa
The RAOC motto ” SUA TELA TONANTI” formally adopted as the motto of the NZAOC.
Articifer G Bridge
Articifer E.V Evans
Articifer F Howe
Articifer W Philips
Articifer M Scollard
Articifer F.J Sygrove
Private William Ernest Aston
Private W.S Barr
Private D Cameron
Private Phillip Frederick Deibert
Private Frederick Vaugha Evans
Private George Henry Gedson
Private Gray Gray
Private McKenzie Denis Horneman
Private Petersen Julius
Private Robert James Kennedy
Private Benjamin Edward Lambert
Private H Lander
Private William Alexander Larkin
Private W.H Launder
Private p McIlroy
Private Wilfred John Mitchinson
Private David Morgan
Private Charles Joseph Phillips
Private Arthur Pidduck
Private D.A Russell
Private John James Thomas
Private Henry Samuel Wilkie
Lance Corporal Edward Beardmore
Lance Corporal Joseph Fitzgerald
Lance Corporal Leonard Hancox
Lance Corporal Henry Edward Augustus Jones
Lance Corporal Edwin Mitchell
Lance Corporal John Wingate Nicholson
Lance Corporal William Kingston O’Connell
Lance Corporal G.E.D Robertson
Lance Corporal A.E Robinson
Lance Corporal Arthur Herbert Ross
Lance Corporal E Sharpe
Lance Corporal Robert George Smith
Corporal Theodore Anderson
Corporal Robert Brown
Corporal Arthur Thomas Burnette
Corporal Walter Bentham Clark
Corporal J Duffy
Corporal Frederick William Green
Corporal F.L McKenzie
corporal Edward McManus
Corporal H.A Rodgers
Corporal William Watt
Corporal Henry James Willis
Sergeant Francis Renshaw
Staff Sergeant J.R Hopkinson
Staff Sergeant J.W Kirby
Staff Sergeant J Nolan
Staff Sergeant G Quayle
Staff Quartermaster Sergeant John Leslie Jackson
Sergeant Major Artificer William Edward Moore
Armt Sgt Maj (WO) Thomas Edward Bryce
lieutenant Frederick W. Kibblcwhite
Captain Livingston Forsythe McNair
Honorary Lieutenant (NZAOD) W.E Luckman, Armourer QMS RAOC, after having served as the Chief Armourer for the New Zealand Forces from 3 July 1903 to 9 Septemeber 1920 returned to the United Kindom.