The strength of the NZAOC on the 31st of May 1924 was 108, consisting of: 
- 6 Officers
- 69 Permanent Other Rank
- 33 Temporary Other Ranks
Director of Ordnance Services
- Lieutenant Colonel H. E. Pilkington, RNZA
Chief Ordnance Officer
- Captain T.J King
Ordnance Accounting Officer
- Lieutenant T.W Page
Northern Command Ordnance Officer
- Lieutenant A. W. Baldwin
Central Command Ordnance Officer
- Lieutenant H.H Whyte
Southern Command Ordnance Officer
- Captain A.R.C White
Featherston Camp Ordnance Officer
- Captain F. E. Ford
Ordnance Accounting Officer
- Lieutenant T.W Page
Inspecting Ordnance Officer and Acting Inspector of Ordnance Machinery
- Captain William Ivory, RNZA
Proof Officer, Small Arms Ammunition
- Captain E.H Sawle
The provision of proper Ordnance Depots in all three commands had become an urgent matter, for economic as well as strategic and tactical reasons. Valuable equipment was stored in temporary structures, which in most cases was quite unsuitable for the purpose. As a necessity, the bulk of the equipment was held at Trentham and Burnham in wooden buildings erected as temporary accommodation for troops, not as permanent storage for valuable equipment. The development of Burnham and Ngaruawahia as ordnance depots was a matter of some urgency and would be put in hand as soon as funds for the purpose are available.
At Burnham and Ngaruawahia, high charges for maintenance of the temporary buildings were being incurred, the cost of transportation of stores and equipment was increasing, and proper supervision and control was becoming very difficult.
The Northern Command was the worst off in this respect. The site at Ngaruawahia was suitable, but with no buildings there, equipment for Northern Command was held partly at Featherston and partly at Trentham.
The Southern Command was in a better position. The buildings at Burnham, though inadequate for the storage of all the equipment for Southern Command, were more or less satisfactory.
The Central Command had ample accommodation, of a kind at Trentham and Featherston, but proper fireproof stores needed to be erected at Trentham, and the buildings at present in use for storage of equipment can then be taken into use for the purpose for which they were built, the accommodation of troops. Featherston will be dismantled when Ngaruawahia depot is built.
The magazine accommodation for both gun and small-arms ammunition was quite insufficient for the army’s requirements, and all sorts of temporary accommodation in unsuitable buildings was being utilized. In consequence, the usual safety precautions could not be adhered to, and there was the danger of accidents and deterioration of ammunition. Proposals had been submitted for the erection of up-to-date magazines at Ngaruawahia for gun ammunition, and for small-arms-ammunition magazines in each command at Ngaruawahia, Trentham, and Burnham.
Stores and Equipment
Stores and equipment generally were in a satisfactory position, but as a consequence of the unsuitable accommodation, they were subjected to considerable deterioration. The capacity and efficiency of the Ordnance workshops were considerably increased by the installation of new machinery; and the arrears of work which were accumulating overhauled, and that the deterioration that was threatening material, vehicles through lack of attention as prevented.
The Cost Accounting system of accounting for stores was proving successful, and everything in connection with this was satisfactory with few losses occurring.
The sale of surplus stores was still proceeding, although the returns had fallen off, for various reasons. The total receipts for the year were approximately £52,000, making a grand total, to date of approximately £424,000. The present method of sale was considered more satisfactory in every way than a sale by auction; it enabled the general public throughout New Zealand to obtain the stores at low prices and provided an efficient organization to deal with surplus stores as they became available from time to time. The dyeing of surplus khaki uniforms for sale to the public was proving a successful venture and was the only satisfactory method of disposing of those large stocks.
Applications were requested to fill Vacancies for Armourers in the NZAOC. The call was for Qualified Armourers and Gunsmiths who had previous experience in the repair of small-arms and machine guns. Mechanics would be considered if they had had training in armourer s duties.
On 11 March 1924 Corporal Artificer John William Dalton, NZAOC was instrumental in saving the lives of four non-swimmers during extreme flash flooding which destroyed the encampment of the 6th Battery, NZA during their camp at Eskdale.  
New Zealand Rifle Team
Sergeant Ching a member of NZAOC, was invited to join the New Zealand Rifle Team for the shooting competition to be held at Bisley in the United Kingdom in September.
NZ Army Dress Regulations 1923
The following extracts are from the 1923 NZ Army Dress Regulations that relate to the NZOC. The 1823 Dress Regulations were the first update to the Dress Regulations since 1912.
Director of Ordnance Services
The Director or Ordnance Services was authorized to wear the following dress distinctions
- Blue Gorget Patches
- Blue Cap Band on the Khaki Service Dress Cap
- Lion and Crown Cap Badge
Ordnance Corps – Two 1/4 in stripes, maroon cloth 1/2 in apart
Mess Kit Jacket
Blue Cloth with Scarlet cloth roll collar and pointed scarlet cloth cuffs. Cuffs 6in deep at the points and 23/4in behind, a 1in slit at the seams. Shoulder straps of blue cloth 11/2 wide at the base, tapering to about 1in at the points, rounder points fastened with a small button, the shoulder straps to be sewn at the shoulder. Badges of rank in metal. No buttons on the front of the jacket and no gold braid or piping. Collar Badges as on service Jacket.
Mess Kit Waist Coat
Blue cloth, open in front, no collar, fastened with four ½ in mounted buttons
Forage Cap Band
Brass letters, worn by officers, warrant officers, Non-commissioned officers and men on the shoulder straps of jacks (service and blue) and greatcoats. The will not be worn on mess-jackets.
Ordnance Corps – Red-Blue-Red
Corporal Peter Gow Scrimgeour passed away at his residence at William Street, Upper Hutt, on Wednesday 24 October 1923. Joining the NZEF with the Eighth Contingent, Scrimgeour saw considerable service in France and at the time of his death was employed with the Trentham Detachment of the NZAOC. Scrimgeour was provided with a military funeral on 26 October 1923.
Personnel Movements -July 1923 to June 1924
- 176 Armorer Private Reginald Albert Percival Johns
- 820 Private James Clements
- 838 Lance Corporal William Robert McMinn
- 914 Armourer Sergeant John Boyce
- 954 Company Sergeant Major Joseph Arthur Head
- 666 Corporal Peter Gow Scrimgeour
Copyright © Robert McKie 2018
 “H-19 Defence Forces of New Zealand, Annual Report of the General Officer Commanding the Forces from 1 June 1923 to 30 June 1924,” Appendix to the Journals of the House of Representatives (1924).
 “B-01-Part02 Public Accounts for the Financial Year 1923-1924,” Appendix to the Journals of the House of Representatives (1924).
 “Hydro-Electric Development,” Press, Volume LIX, Issue 17850 (1923).
 “H-19 Defence Forces of New Zealand, Annual Report of the General Officer Commanding the Forces from 1 June 1923 to 30 June 1924.”
 “Caught by the Flood “, New Zealand Herald, Volume LXI, Issue 18659, 15 March 1924.
 “Gallant Conduct,” New Zealand Herald, Volume LXI, Issue 18725, 3 June 1924.
 “Courageous Conduct,” in New Zealand Army General Order 164 (Wellington1924).
 “Personal Matters – Ching,” Evening Post, Volume CVII, Issue 113, 14 May 1924.
 Malcolm Thomas and Cliff Lord, New Zealand Army Distinguishing Patches, 1911-1991 (Wellington, N.Z.: M. Thomas and C. Lord, 1995, 1995), Bibliographies, Non-fiction, 34.
 “Scrimgeour, Peter Gow “, Personal File, Archives New Zealand (1914-1918).
 “Personal Matters – Ching.”