The strength of the NZAOC on the 31st of May 1924 was 108, consisting of:
- 6 Officers
- 69 Permanent Other Rank
- 33 Temporary Other Ranks
Director of Ordnance Stores
- Lieutenant Colonel H. E. Pilkington, RNZA
Chief Ordnance Officer
- Captain T.J King, NZAOC
Northern Command Ordnance Officer
- Lieutenant M.J Lyons, NZAOC
Central Command Ordnance Officer
- Captain F. E. Ford, NZAOC
Southern Command Ordnance Officer
- Captain A.R.C White , NZAOC
The New Zealand Gazette of 3 July 1924 published regulations that revoked the regulations that established the NZAOD and NZAOC on the 7th of June 1917. Backdated to the 27th of June 1924 the New Zealand Army Ordnance Department was reconstituted as part of the New Zealand Army Ordnance Corps resulting in one Ordnance organisation for the New Zealand Permanent Forces.
The provision of proper Ordnance Depots in all three commands had become an urgent matter, for economic as well as strategic and tactical reasons. Valuable equipment was stored in temporary structures, which in most cases was quite unsuitable for the purpose, and there was the consequence of deterioration, but also of serious loss by fire. As a necessity, the bulk of the equipment was held at Trentham and Burnham in wooden buildings erected as temporary accommodation for troops, not as permanent storage for valuable equipment. It was to remain there until proper Ordnance stores were provided at Burnham and Ngaruawahia. High charges for maintenance of the temporary buildings were being incurred, the cost of transportation of stores and equipment was increasing, and proper supervision and control was becoming very difficult.
The Northern Command was the worst off in this respect. The site at Ngaruawahia was suitable, but with no buildings there, equipment for Northern Command was held partly at Featherston and partly at Trentham.
The Southern Command was in a better position. The buildings at Burnham, though inadequate for the storage of all the equipment for Southern Command, were more or less satisfactory.
The Central Command had ample accommodation, of a kind at Trentham and Featherston, but proper fireproof stores needed to be erected at Trentham, and the buildings at present in use for storage of equipment can then be taken into use for the purpose for which they were built, the accommodation of troops. Featherston will be dismantled when Ngaruawahia depot is built.
The magazine accommodation for both gun and small-arms ammunition was quite insufficient for the army’s requirements, and all sorts of temporary accommodation in unsuitable buildings was being utilized. In consequence, the usual safety precautions could not be adhered to, and there was the danger of accidents and deterioration of ammunition. Proposals had been submitted for the erection of up-to-date magazines at Ngaruawahia for gun ammunition, and for small-arms-ammunition magazines in each command at Ngaruawahia, Trentham, and Burnham.
Stores and Equipment
Stores and equipment generally were in a satisfactory position, but as a consequence of the unsuitable accommodation, they were subjected to considerable deterioration. The capacity and efficiency of the Ordnance workshops were considerably increased by the installation of new machinery; and the arrears of work which were accumulating overhauled, and that the deterioration that was threatening material, vehicles through lack of attention as prevented.
The Cost Accounting system of accounting for stores was proving successful, and everything in connection with this was satisfactory with few losses occurring.
The sale of surplus stores was still proceeding, although the returns had fallen off, for various reasons. The total receipts for the year were approximately £52,000, making a grand total, to date of approximately £424,000. The present method of sale was considered more satisfactory in every way than a sale by auction; it enabled the general public throughout New Zealand to obtain the stores at low prices and provided an efficient organization to deal with surplus stores as they became available from time to time. The dyeing of surplus khaki uniforms for sale to the public was proving a successful venture and was the only satisfactory method of disposing of those large stocks.
Applications were requested to fill Vacancies for Armourers in the NZAOC. The call was for Qualified Armourers and Gunsmiths who had previous experience in the repair of small-arms and machine guns. Mechanics would be considered if they had had training in armourer s duties.
NZ Army Dress Regulations 1923
The NZ Army Dress Regulations detailed the dress instructions for the NZAOC
- Ordnance Corps – Two 1/4 in stripes, maroon cloth 1/2 in apart
- Shoulder Titles
- Brass letters, worn by officers, warrant officers, Non-commissioned officers and men on the shoulder straps of jacks (service and blue) and greatcoats. The will not be worn on mess-jackets.
- Ordnance Corps – Red-Blue-Red
- Forage Cap Band
- Ordnance Corps – Scarlet
Personnel Movements -July 1923 to June 1924
176 Armorer Private Reginald Albert Percival Johns
820 Private James Clements
838 Lance Corporal William Robert McMinn
914 Armourer Sergeant John Boyce
954 Company Sergeant Major Joseph Arthur Head
Copyright © Robert McKie 2018