The strength of the NZAOC on the 31st May 1935 was 29 consisting of:
- 5 Officers, and
- 24 Other ranks.
It had not been possible, for financial reasons, to follow any progressive policy during the past few years in the appointment of officers to the NZAOC. The officers of the corps are of two classes;
- Administrative and
and the small numbers involved made it essential that appointments be made with careful regard to age and the necessity for technical training abroad.
It was planned that two junior officers —one for administrative work and one for technical work—would be appointed as soon as funds permit, with one officer to attend the Ordnance Mechanical Engineers’ Course in England in 1936.
Special attention was being paid to the provision of armourers and instrument artificers. The position as regards armament-artificers was satisfactory, but appointments of young men for training as armourers and for instrument-repair work needed to be made as soon as practicable.
Director of Ordnance Services
- Major Thomas Joseph King, NZAOC
Inspecting Ordnance Officer
- Lieutenant A. de T. Nevill, RNZA
Northern Command Ordnance Officer
- Lieutenant D. L. Lewis
Central Command Ordnance Officer
- Lieutenant H. E. Erridge NZAOC
Southern Command Ordnance Depot
- Lieutenant D. Nicol
Assistant Inspecting Ordnance Officer and Ordnance Mechanical Engineer
- Lieutenant I. R. Withell, RNZA
Assistant Chief Ordnance Officer Trentham Camp
- Captain W. R. Burge, M.C., NZSC
Ordnance Officer Main Depot and Officer in Charge Trentham Military Camp
- Captain W. M. Bell, NZAOC
Assistant Inspecting Ordnance Officer and Assistant Ordnance Mechanical Engineer
- Lieutenant Mr S. B. Wallace
Ordnance Officer (provisional) at the Main Ordnance Depot
- Lieutenant H. E. Erridge
Proof Officer, Small Arms Ammunition, Auckland
- Honorary Lieutenant J.W Fletcher, NZPS ( appointed 1 Sept 1931 NZ General Order 353/1931)
The NZAOC was responsible for;
- the provision, distribution, repair, examination, and maintenance of small arms, machine guns, vehicles, clothing, equipment, and general stores;
- the inspection and repair of armament and inspection of gun ammunition ;
- the receipt, testing, storage, and issue of small-arms ammunition;
- the organization and control of ordnance workshops.
Equipment and stores required for the Territorial Force had been maintained during the year in serviceable condition. Very careful attention had been paid to the inspection and testing of small-arms ammunition, some of the older stocks of which showed signs of serious deterioration. All ammunition issued for use in rifles was carefully tested before issue, and ammunition found unfit for rifles was either issued for use in machine guns or broken up, according to its condition.
Equipment and Stores
The situation regarding equipment and stores was far from satisfactory. Financial limitations had made it impossible to build up an adequate reserve of equipment and stores or to maintain those reserves that existed. These stores could not be obtained in New Zealand, nor would they be available until at least six months after the outbreak of war. Apart from the provision of stores, a considerable amount of leeway had to be made up in carrying out alterations and additions to existing equipment. Shortage of skilled personnel and small stores, and inadequate workshops and machinery, together with the increased demands made upon them, were responsible for the present situation. Unfortunately, financial limitations permitted no progress made in remedying this position. An issue of boots has been made to all ranks of the Territorial Force during the past year which proved satisfactory in every way.
Stores Buildings and Workshops
The Ordnance Depots were situated at Ngaruawahia, Trentham, and Burnham. The storage accommodation at Ngaruawahia and Burnham was reasonably satisfactory. At Trentham, where the greater quantity of reserve stores was held, the store buildings consist of the wooden hutments erected to accommodate troops during the war. Most of these buildings still have a considerable ” life,” but the layout is uneconomical in staff and administration and insufficient to accommodate any considerable increase in the quantity of stock held. The stores required on mobilization cannot, under present conditions, be segregated and laid out as they should be. It was proposed that when finance became available, to erect a modern store building at Trentham which will increase the storage available and anticipate the deterioration of the present wooden buildings.
The principal workshop is at Trentham. Small workshops exist at North Head, Auckland, and Burnham, Canterbury. These workshops carry out repair and maintenance work on guns, howitzers, vehicles, machine guns, rifles, optical and other instruments, and miscellaneous small items. A marked increase in this work was expected with the advent of the new armament for coast defences and other equipment. A considerable extension of the workshop at Trentham is overdue, but could not be undertaken with the finances available in the vote.
The position of the teams at the end of the first round in the 1934/Upper Hutt Cricket League competition is as follows:
- Ordnance 45 points,
- Training Depot 44,
- Trentham B 40,
- Upper Hutt A 26,
- St. Joseph’s 25,
- Methodist 7,
- Trentham A 16,
- Upper Hutt B 11.
Armourer Staff Sergeant Frederick Henry Dew
Copyright © Robert McKie 2018