This article carries on from the post, NZAOC June 1946 to May 1947 and covers the activities of the NZAOC/RNZAOC from June 1947 to May 1948.
Director of Ordnance Services
The appointment of Director of Ordnance Services (DOS) had been in abeyance since 6 Jan 1940. The senior Ordnance appointment from 6 Jan 1940 to 1 Sept 1946 was the Chief Ordnance Officer (COO). From 1 Sept 1946 the Director of Army Equipment (DAE) became the Senior NZAOC appointment and remained occupied by the incumbent Lieutenant Colonel (temp.) C. S. J. Duff, D.S.O., RNZA, until his retirement on 3 July 1947. With the appointment of DAE renamed to DOS, Lieutenant Colonel A.H Andrews assumed the appointment on 1 October 1947.
The NZAOC was located at the following locations;
- Main Ordnance Depot, including
- Bulk Stores Sub Depots, at
- Gracefield, Lower Hutt
- Bulk Stores Sub Depots, at
- Inspecting Ordnance Officers Group
- Ammunition Repair Depot, Kuku Valley
- Ammunition Proof and Experimentation Center, Kuku Valley
- Central Districts Vehicle Depot at Trentham
- Northern Districts Vehicle Depot, Sylvia Park
- Small Arms Ammunition Proof Office, Mount Eden
- Northern Districts Ordnance Depot
- Northern Districts Ammunition Depot, Magazines at Ngaruawahia, Kelms Road and Ardmore
Linton and Waiouru Camps
- Central Districts Ordnance Depot at Linton Camp, with
- Sub Depot at Waiouru.
- Central Districts Ammunition Depot, with sections at
- Moko Moko
- Kuku Valley
- Southern Districts Ordnance Depot
- Southern Districts Vehicle Depot
- Southern Districts Ammunition Depot, Ammunition magazines at
- Glen Tunnel,
- Mount Somers.
During the year all NZAOC/RNZAOC establishments were fully occupied consolidating and maintaining stocks and in the disposal of substantial surplus holdings through the War Assets Realization Board. The total value of such disposals amounted to £595,000 (2017 NZD 44,116,722.10). During the year all possible surplus motor transport spare parts were declared to the War Assets Realization Board.
Also, 1,511 surplus carriers and vehicles were sold, of which 827 carriers and 444 motor-cycles went to private individuals, while all the 230 cars and vehicles went to Government Departments.
Details of stores received and requisitions placed overseas during the year were:
- Value of receipts;
- From United Kingdom £41,500 (2017 NZD$3,077,048.68)
- From Australia £44,700 (2017 NZD$3,314,315.09)
- The estimated value of requisitions;
- On United Kingdom £86,200(2017 NZD$6,391,363.77)
- On Australia- £87,300(2017 NZD$6,472,924.10)
At all depots, acute shortages of staff have prevented preservation work being carried out on much valuable equipment, but every endeavour was made with the available staff, materials, and facilities available to maintain equipment in good condition.
Inspecting Ordnance Officers Group
The Inspecting Ordnance Officers Group was fully occupied in the inspection and repair of large stocks of all types of ammunition and explosives, and, also, carried out a considerable programme involving the destruction of unserviceable ammunition and explosives and the preparation of further unserviceable ammunition for dumping.
Since 1945 to support the J Force, the New Zealand contribution to the British Commonwealth Occupation Forces (BCOF) in Japan, the NZAOC had contributed the following;
- 4 Forward Ordnance Depot (4FOD) which was then renamed 4 Advanced Ordnance Depot (4AOD) based at Chofu, Japan, and
- One Officer and 20 other ranks were also detached from 4FOD/4AOD to become the New Zealand Ordnance commitment of the BCOF, Base Ordnance Depot (BOD) based at Kure. The BCOF BOD was British Commonwealth organisation with contributions from the;
- Royal Army Ordnance Corps
- Royal Australian Army Ordnance Corps
- Royal Indian Army Ordnance Corps
The second draft of Jay Force in place by June 1947. NZ Ordnance Personnel identified by the following red and blue unit identifier worn on the right sleeve:
Granting of the Royal Prefix
On the 12 of July 1947, King George IV approved the addition of the prefix ” Royal” to the New Zealand Army Ordnance Corps, Creating the Royal New Zealand Army Ordnance Corps.
The Design for the new Badge was approved on 27 October 1947 and orders placed on 14 January 1948 from;
- United Kingdom;
- 175 Gilt, Silver and Enamel cap badges,
- 158 Pairs Gilt, Silver and Enamel cap collar badges.
- New Zealand;
- 1600 Brass cap badges,
- 850 Pairs Brass collar badges
N.Z.A.O 36/1947 authorised the wearing of coloured patches on caps GS or Berets, for all ranks below the rank of Colonel. The patch authorised for the RNZAOC was a 2inch Red and Blue (vertical) diamond to be worn behind the Corps badge.
Copyright © Robert McKie 2017