These are a series of photos from an album I was surprised to discover in a Wellington second-hand shop. The collection spans from 1971 to 1979 and provides a photographic history of the ANZUK Supply Depot (1971-74) and the New Zealand Supply Platoon (1974-89).
RFA Tideflow. Robert McKie collection
ANZUK Supply Platoon
The ANZUK Supply Platoon was the ANZUK unit responsible for providing foodstuffs and POL (petrol oil lubricants) to the ANZUK Force (1971-1974). Under the command of the Commander Royal Australian Army Service Corp (CRAASC), it was a tri-nation unit, with members drawn from Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom.
It was formed at a time when the three different armies were rationalising their Supply functions from an Army Service Corp (ASC) Responsibility to an Ordnance Corp responsibility, and as a result, the unit was a mix of Royal Army Ordnance Corp and Australian and New Zealand Army Service Corp personnel. The United Kingdom changed in 1965, creating the Royal Corps of Transport (RCT), with the ASC Supply responsibilities taken over by the Royal Army Ordnance Corps. Australia followed suit in 1973 and New Zealand in 1979.
With the withdrawal of the British and Australians from Singapore, the ANZUK Supply Depot changed ownership and became the NZ Supply depot in 1974, continuing under RNZASC control until 1979 and then RNZAOC control until 1989, when New Zealand withdrew its forces from Singapore.
Located in the north-eastern section of the former HM Naval Dockyard, Sembawang, Singapore, the ANZUK Supply Depot occupied the cluster of buildings that were the former Royal Navy Victualling and Storing Office and Victualling Depot (SVSO and Vict Depot).
Originally announced in 1923, construction of the Naval Dockyard was completed in 1939, at a staggering cost of £60 million – equivalent to £2½ billion in 2006, paid for by the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand. The base covered 21 square miles (54 km2) and had the most significant dry dock in the world, the third-largest floating dock, fuel tanks to support the entire British Navy for six months and a host of workshops, warehouses and accommodation. With the withdrawal of British forces from Singapore starting in 1968, most of the Naval Base was handed over to the Singapore government, with the area adjacent to the Stores basin retained for use by the residual Commonwealth, then New Zealand Forces.
ANZUK Supply Depot 1972
Standing L to R: Cpl Parker, RAASC. Cpl Olderman, RAASC, Cpl Mcintyre, RAOC. Sgt Frank, RAOC. Cpl Rangi, RNZASC. Sgt Locke, RNZASC. Sgt Bust, RAOC. Pte Mag, RAASC. Cpl David, RAASC.
Sitting L to R: Sgt Kietelgen, RAASC. WO2 West, RAOC. Capt Mcnice, RAOC. Maj Hunt, RAASC. Lt Fynn, RAASC. WO2 Cole, RAASC. WO2 Clapton. RAASC
Checking ‘Live’ consignment of produce to issue to Gurkha Regt at Nee Soon,