The core responsibility of the Royal New Zealand Army Ordnance Corps and its predecessors was the supply and maintenance of arms, ammunition, accoutrements, clothing, and field equipment to New Zealand’s Military Forces. From 1840 the principal posts of the RNZAOC and its predecessors were.
Colony of New South Wales, Colonial Storekeeper for New Zealand
- Mr C.H.G Logie 15 Jan 1840 – 1 Oct 1840
Colony of New Zealand, Colonial Storekeeper
- Mr H Tucker 1 Oct 1840 – 30 Dec 1843
From 1844 the needs of the Militia were facilitated on an ad-hoc basis by the Colonial Secretary based upon requests from provincial magistrates.
Colonial Secretaries of New Zealand (30 Dec 1843 to 28 May 1858)
- Willoughby Shortland 3 May 1841 – 31 Dec 1943
- Andrew Sinclair 6 Jan 1844 – 7 May 1856
- Henry Sewell 7 May 1856 – 20 May 1856
- John Hall 20 May 1856 – 2 Jun 1856
- William Richmond 2 Jun 1856 – 4 Nov 1856
- Edward Stafford 4 Nov 1856 – 12 Jul 1861
Supporting the Imperial Forces in New Zealand since 1840, the Board of Ordnance had established offices in Auckland during 1842, ensuring the provision of Imperial military units in New Zealand with munitions, uniforms and necessities. The Board of Ordnance was reorganised on 1 February 1857 into a new organisation called the Military Store Department. Headquartered at Fort Britomart in Auckland, the Military Store Department principal role alongside the commissariat was to support the Imperial Garrison; however, it would support colonial forces on a cost-recovery basis when necessary. With the departure of the British Military Storekeeper Joseph Osbertus Hamley in July 1870, the withdrawal of Imperial Forces was completed.
Board of Ordnance, Military Storekeeper
- Deputy Ordnance Storekeeper W Plummer 1842 – 1 February 1857
Military Store Department
- Deputy Superintendent of Stores W. Plummer 1 February 1857 – 4 March 1879(Deceased in office)
- Deputy Superintendent of Stores J.O Hamley 4 March 1858 – 30 July 1870
The passing of the Militia Act of 1858 saw the Militia reorganised, and Volunteer units were authorised to be raised. The Deputy Adjutant General of Militia and Volunteers oversaw the administration, including the supply and distribution of arms, ammunition, accoutrements, clothing, and field equipment to the Militia and Volunteers.
Deputy Adjutant General of Militia and Volunteers
- Capt H.C Balneavis 28 May 1858 – 18 Sep 1862
On 18 September 1862, the Colonial Defence Act was passed, establishing the first regular military units in New Zealand. Under the Quartermaster General of the Colonial Defence Force, Captain Robert Collins, the Colonial Store Department under the Colonial Storekeeper, and the Militia Store Department under the Superintended of Militia Stores maintained a separation between the Militia/Volunteers and Regulars absorbing the rudimentary stores’ organisation of the Deputy Adjutant General of Militia and Volunteers. The two departments would be amalgamated into the Colonial Store Department in 1865.
Militia Store Department
- Superintendent of Militia Stores, Capt E.D King 18 September 1862 – 30 October 1865
Colonial Store Department
- Colonial Storekeeper Capt J Mitchell 18 September 1862- 1 April 1869
The Armed Constabulary Act was passed in 1867, which combined New Zealand’s police and military functions into a regular Armed Constabulary (AC) Force, supported by loyal natives, Militia and Volunteer units. The Inspector of Defence store appointment was created in 1869 to manage all New Zealand’s Defence Stores as the single New Zealand Defence Stores organisation.
Inspector of Defence Stores (Defence Stores)
- Lt Col E Gorton 1 Apr 1869 – 9 Jan 1877
Defence Storekeeper (Defence Stores)
- Capt S.C Anderson 9 Jan 1877 – 7 Dec 1899 (Deceased in office)
- Mr J O’Sullivan 7 Dec 1899 – 1 Jan 1907
During the 1880s, New Zealand undertook a rearmament and fortification program that was also a technological leap forward in terms of capability. The Defence Stores armourers and Arms Cleaners had maintained the colony’s weapons since 1861. However, the new equipment included machinery that functioned through pneumatics, electricity and steam power, requiring a skilled workforce to repair and maintain, resulting in a division of responsibility between the Defence Stores and Permanent Militia. The Defence Stores would retain its core supply functions with its armourers remaining responsible for repairing Small Arms. With some civilian capacity available, the bulk of the repairs and maintenance of the new equipment would be carried out by uniformed artificers and tradespeople recruited into the Permanent Militia.
From October 1888, the Staff Officer of Artillery and Inspector of Ordnance, Stores and Equipment would be responsible for all Artillery related equipment, with the Defence Storekeeper responsible for all other Stores. However, during the late 1890s, the Defence Storekeeper would assume responsibility for some of the Artillery related stores and equipment of the Permanent Militia.
Inspector of Stores and Equipment
- Maj A.P Douglas 24 Aug 1887 – 23 Jan 1891
In 1907 a significant command reorganisation of the Defence Forces defined the responsibilities of the Director of Artillery Services (Ordnance) and Director of Stores.
- Director of Artillery Services (Ordnance): Responsible for:
- Artillery armament,
- Fixed coast defences,
- Artillery ammunition, and
- Supplies for ordnance.
- Director of Stores: Responsible for:
- Clothing and personal equipment,
- Machine Guns,
- Small-arms and Machine gun ammunition,
- Camp Equipment,
- All other stores required for the Defence Forces.
Director of Military Stores (Defence Stores)
- Capt J O’Sullivan 1 Jan 1907 – 30 Mar 1911
Director of Ordnance and Artillery
- Maj G.N Johnston 28 Feb 1907 – 31 May 1907
- Capt G.S Richardson 31 May 1907 – 31 Jul 1908
Director of Artillery
- Maj J.E Hume 31Jul 1908 – 31 Mar 1911
In 1911, provisional regulations were promogulated further detailing the division of responsibilities between the Quartermaster Generals Branch (to whom the Defence Stores was subordinate) and the Director of Ordnance and Artillery. Based on these new regulations, the Director of Artillery (Ordnance) assumed overall responsibility for managing Artillery stores and ammunition on 2 August 1911.
Director of Equipment and Stores (Defence Stores)
- Maj J O’Sullivan 30 Mar 1911 – 10 Apr 1916
Director of Ordnance and Artillery
- Maj G.N Johnston 11 May 1911- 8 Aug 1914
To maintain and manufacture artillery ammunition, the Royal NZ Artillery established an Ordnance Section in 1915. The section immediately transferred to the NZAOC in 1917, with the RNZA maintaining technical control. By 1929, most artificers and tradespeople had been transferred from the RNZA into the NZAOC. The final RNZA store’s function would be transferred to the NZAOC in 1946 when the RNZA Ammunition and Equipment Section based in Army Headquarters handed over responsibility for artillery ammunition, explosives, coast artillery and specialist equipment and stores, including some staffing to the NZAOC.
The Defence Stores would remain as New Zealand’s military storekeepers until 1 February 1917 when the New Zealand Army Ordnance Department (NZAOD) and the New Zealand Army Ordnance Corps (NZAOC) were established as part of the Permanent Staff of the Defence Forces of New Zealand, assuming the responsibilities Defence Stores.
The NZAOD would be reconstituted into the NZAOC on 27 June 1924.
Director of Equipment and Ordnance Stores (Defence Stores & NZAOC)
- Maj T McCristell 10 Apr 1916 – 30 Jan 1920
Director of Ordnance Stores (NZAOC)
- Lt Col H.E Pilkington 30 Jan 1920 – 1 Oct 1924
- Lt Col T.J King 1 Oct 1920 – 6 Jan 1940
- Lt Col W.R Burge 6 Jan 1940 – 22 June 1940
Chief Ordnance Officer (NZAOC)
- Maj H.E Erridge 22 Jun 1940 – 3 Aug 1941
- Lt Col E.L.G Bown 5 Aug 1941 – 1 Oct 1947
In the Post-war era, the NZAOC would be granted Royal status on 12 July 1947, becoming the Royal New Zealand Army Ordnance Corps (RNZAOC). For the next forty-five years, the Director of Ordnance Services (DOS) would be responsible for the personnel, equipment and training of the RNZAOC.
Director of Ordnance Services (RNZAOC)
- Lt Col A.H Andrews 1 Oct 1947 – 11 Nov 1949
- Lt Col F Reid 12 Nov 1949 – 31 Mar 1957
- Lt Col H Mck Reid 1 Apr 1958 – 11 Nov 1960
- Lt Col E Whiteacre 12 Nov 1960 – 24 May 1967
- Lt Col J Harvey 24 May 1967 – 28 Aug 1968
- Lt Col G.J.H Atkinson 29 Aug 1968 – 20 Oct 1972
- Lt Col M.J Ross 21 Oct 1972 – 6 Dec 1976
- Lt Col A.J Campbell 7 Dec 1976 – 9 Apr 1979
- Lt Col P.M Reid 10 Apr 1979 – 25 Jul 1983
- Lt Col T.D McBeth 26 Jul 1983 – 31 Jan 1986
- Lt Col G.M Corkin 1 Feb 1986 – 1 Dec 1986
- Lt Col J.F Hyde 2 Dec 1986 – 31 Oct 1987
- Lt Col E.W.G Thomson 31 Oct 1987 – 11 Jan 1990
- Lt Col W.B Squires 12 Jan 1990 – 15 Dec 1992
During the early 1990s, the New Zealand Army underwent several “rebalancing” activities, which saw the formation of regional Logistic Battalions and included the demise of the individual Corps Directorates.
Filling the void left by the demise of the Corps Directorates, the post of Regimental Colonel was approved on 12 December 1992. The role of the Regimental Colonel of the RNZAOC was to.
- Provide specialist advice when called for
- Maintain an overview of Corps personnel matters, and
- Provide a link between the Colonel Commandant of the RNZAOC and the Corps and support the Colonel Commandant.
Regimental Colonel (NZAOC)
- Col T.D McBeth 15 Dec 1992 – 19 Sept 1994
- Col L Gardiner 19 Sept 1994 – 9 Dec 1996
On 9 December 1996, the RNZAOC was amalgamated into the Royal New Zealand Army Logistic Regiment (RNZALR).
New Zealand Ordnance Corps during wartime
During the Frist World War, a New Zealand Army Ordnance Corps was established as a unit of the 1st New Zealand Expeditionary Force (NZEF)
Officer Commanding NZEF NZAOC
- Capt W.T Beck, 3 Dec 1914 – 31 Jan 1916
- Lt Col A.H Herbert, 1 Feb 1916 – 31 Mar 1918
- Lt Col H.E Pilkington, RNZA 30 Jun 1918- 22 Jan 20
- Temp Capt W.H Simmons, 20 Feb 20 – 13 Oct 1920
The Second World War would see all the Ordnance functions of the 2nd NZEF organised as the New Zealand Ordnance Corps (NZOC).
Officer Commanding 2nd NZEF NZOC in the Middle East and Europe
- Lt Col T.J King 5 Jan 1940 – 10 Jul 1942
- Maj A.H Andrews 10 Jul 1942 – 1 Dec 1942
- Lt Col J.O Kelsey 1 Dec 1942 – 1 Feb 1946
Officer Commanding 2nd NZEF in the Pacific NZOC
- Lt P.N Erridge 22 Nov 1940 – 9 May 1941
- Lt S.A Knight 9 May 1941 – 8 Jan 1942
- Lt Col M.S Myers 8 Jan 1942 – 24 Apr 1944
- Lt Col S.A Knight 24 Apr 1944 – 30 Oct 1944