This post provides a chronological record of the principle Ordnance units located in the Manawatu from 1915 to 1996.
In his annual report to the Quartermaster General of the New Zealand Military Forces, Major James O’Sullivan, the Director of Equipment and Stores made the suggestion that;
the time has now arrived for the establishment of a District Store at Palmerston North, as it is more central for distribution, and cost or railage would be considerably reduced.Report of the Director of Equipment & Stores for the year ending 31 March 1914
Palmerston North Ordnance Store established
21 June 1915
Mr Frank Edwin Ford, formerly the Mobilisation Storekeeper at Nelson, was appointed district storekeeper, Wellington Military District and took charge of the Palmerston North Ordnance Store.
1 July 1917
New Zealand Army Ordnance Corps formed. Civilain staff of the Defence Stores Department staff were attested for service into the NZAOC. The Palmerston North Ordnance Store official designation became “Palmerston North Detachment – NZAOC”.
Palmerston North Detachment, NZAOC disbanded
Jan – March 1942
Central Districts Ordnance Depot established at the Palmerston North showgrounds
1 March 1941
Lieutenant William Saul Keegan, New Zealand Temporary Staff (NZTS) appointed as Ordnance Officer, Central Military District and Officer Commanding, Palmerston North Detachment, NZAOC and NZOC attached.
1 August 1942
Central Districts Ordnance Depot renamed to No 2 Ordnance Sub Depot.
Main Ordnance Depot Trentham establishes Bulk Sub-Depot at Linton Camp
31 December 1944
Fire at 2 Ordnance Sub Depot resulting in a stock loss of £225700 ($18,639,824.86 2017 value)
14 December 1945
No 2 Ordnance Sub Depot Closes and its functions assumed by the Main Ordnance Depot at Trentham and Bulk Sub-Depot at Linton
1 October 1946
Reestablishment of No 2 Ordnance Depot at Linton Camp absorbing the Main Ordnance Depot Bulk Sub-Depot. Captain W.S Keegan Officer Commanding. Headquartered in Linton, No 2 Ordnance Depot also maintains;
- Ammo Sub Depots at Belmont, Makomako and Waiouru,
- a vehicle Sub Depot at Trentham, and
- Stores Sub Depot at Waiouru.
26 April 1947
Captain Quartermaster L.H Stroud appointed as Officer Commanding, No 2 Ordnance Depot
Captain P.W Rennision appointed as Officer Commanding, No 2 Ordnance Depot
Reorganisation of RNZAOC Units
- No 2 Ordnance Depot renamed Central Districts Ordnance Depot (CDOD).
- Central Districts Ammunition Depot (Makomako, Belmont, Waiouru) and Central Districts Vehicle Depot (Trentham) formed as standalone units.
- Waiouru Ordnance Stores remain a Sub Depot of Linton until 1976.
Buildings CB26 and CB27 Constructed
Captain W Ancell appointed as Officer Commanding, Central Districts Ordnance Depot
Major J Harvey appointed as Officer Commanding CDOD
The Central Districts Vehicle Deport (CDVD) relocated from Trentham to Linton. Buildings CB14, 15, 16 and 17 relocated from Wellington to house the CDVD.
Reorganisation of RNZAOC Units
- CDVD and CDAD cease to be standalone units and become sub-units of the CDOD
New Headquarters building constructed for CDOD (Building CB18)
RNZAOC Stores Sections carrying specialised spares, assemblies and workshops materials to suit the particular requirement of its parent RNZEME workshops were approved and RNZEME Technical Stores personnel employed in these were transferred to the RNZAOC.
Major John Barrie Glasson appointed as Officer Commanding CDOD
Construction of New Clothing Store completed (CB4)
CDOD renamed 2 Central Ordnance Depot (2 COD)
Major Piers Reid appointed as Officer Commanding 2 COD
Construction of 45000sq ft (reduced to 25000sq ft) extension to Clothing store began by 2 Construction Sqn RNZE.(CB4)
7 Nov 1972
2 COD New stores building completed at a cost of $134000 and 34298 manhours. (CB4)
1 April 1976
Reorganised with the Waiouru Sub-depot becoming the Standalone Supply Company -4 Central Ordnance Deport (4 COD).
Major K.A Watson appointed as Officer Commanding 2 COD
16 October 1978
2 COD Renamed to 2 Supply Company
1 February 1979
22 OFP formed as a Sub Unit Capt. M Telfer (TF Officer) as Officer Commanding
12 May 1979
RNZASC Supply responsibilities Transferred to the RNZAOC. 2 Supply Company gains 24 Supply Platoon (Rations)
31 January 1980
Major S.D Hopkins appointed as Officer Commanding 2 Supply Company
7 March 1983
Major N.A Hitchings appointed as Officer Commanding 2 Supply Company
2 Supply Company reorganised as 5 Composite Supply Company: Consists of two sub-units:
- The Linton Sub Depot which is drawn from 2 Supply Company, and
- 21 Supply Company. 21 Sup Coy was a Territorial Force unit based at Waiouru as a sub-unit of 4 Supply Company responsible for Combat Sups and Services. As a sub-unit of 5SCS it was relocated to Linton, intergrading with 22OFP. One of 21 Sup Coys principle Sub-Units was 47 Petroleum Platoon.
27 May 1985
Major Geoff Cain appointed as Officer Commanding 5 Composite Supply Company
47 Pet Pl under goes a major re-equipment, receiving a suit of kit including Fabric Tanks, Pumps, Filters, Meters and a limited pipeline capability. Under Captain Kit Carson, the profile of the Petroleum Operator Trade is increased as RF recruiting into the trade is increased and Pet Op courses run more frequently.
Makomako Ammunition area begins refurbishment programme to upgrade ESH’s, roading and support infrastructure.
16 November 1987
Captain G.M Gregory appointed as Officer Commanding 2 Supply Company
16 APRIL 1988
Major R.J.A Smith appointed as Officer Commanding, 5 Composite Supply Company
5CSC Reorganised as 21 Field Supply Company
Construction of New Ration Store Completed as part of Operation Kupe, the return of units from Singapore. The Old 24 Supply Platoon Ration Store that was located outside of camp by railway extension demolished.
16 December 1991
Major C.A Tarrant appointed as Officer Commanding, 21 Field Supply Company
Ready Reaction Force Ordnance Support Group (RRF OSG),transferred from 3 Supply Company Burnham and absorbed into 21 Field Supply Company. Low cost shelters CB34a,b and CB35 erected)
NZ Supply Detachment deployed to Somalia, majority of personnel are drawn from 21 Fd Sup Coy
NZ Supply Platoon deployed into Somalia relieving the NZ Supply Det
NZ Supply Platoon deployed into Somalia relieving the NZ Supply Platoon, Deployment ended in June 1994
1 March 1994
Major S.A Wagner appointed as Officer Commanding, 21 Field Supply Company
Major Chas Chalton appointed as Officer Commanding, 21 Field Supply Company
RNZAOC Supplier Trade combines with the All Arms Storeman Trade as Supply Quartermasters.
21 Field Supply Company, becomes 21 Supply Company, Royal New Zealand Army Logistic Regiment (RNZALR). Catering functions join the company as a sub-unit NOTE: this needs to be confirmed and might have happened earlier
Major H Duffy appointed as Officer Commanding, 21 Field Supply Company, RNZALR.